Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Top 10 chores of independence....

Well folks, I've made it almost an entire month on my own.  Yep, Saturday marks a month from the night that I moved into my own little home.  To say that I've loved living on my own is an understatement.  I miss my mama but not in a homesick kind of way!  If you know my mom, you know that she has her own little way of doing things.  She's very practical and she knows what she wants and how to get it and has never really been indecisive.  I'll admit that I had gotten very lazy aroud the house when it came to doing chores.  I hated doing laundry.  I hated taking out the trash.  I would leave three days worth of shoes laying all over the house.  And all of that just drove my mom crazy!!  Leading up to the big move, we'd joke around and she'd say, "If you don't want to pay your bills on time, I won't care!  If you want to let three weeks worth of laundry pile up, I won't care because none of that will be my problem anymore!"  Things are much more different than the way I thought they would be now that I'm out on my own.  You know what they say, "You ARE your mama's daughter..." and I'm here to tell you that I certainly am!

So, here are some things that I have found myself doing that are EXACTLY like my mom!  (Go ahead and get a good laugh, Sandra D.)

1.  There are NO dishes left in the sink.  If they are used, they are washed promptly or put in the dishwasher.

2. I have found myself sweeping the floors atleast ONCE a day.  It's become a part of the daily routine.

3. There are NO dirty clothes or wet towels left in my bathroom floor.  NOPE.  Never!

4.  The garbage is changed the minute that it is full.  Oh, there is no trying to push down the trash a little more to squeeze yet another piece of trash in.  Nope.  

5.  My hairdryer and straightener are placed ever so nicely on the side of my vanity in my bathroom every morning when I've finished using them.  There are no "nasty cords" laying in the floor anymore. 

6. My bills are all drafted out of my account, but when I receive a bill in the mail, it is placed in it's own little file in my personal filing box so that come tax time next year, I can have everything ready to go-- wooo that's a HUGE accomplishment thus far!

7.  The plants are watered every other day.  Gotta keep those babies moist!

8.  There are no shoes lying around by the front door, well except for the polka-dotted rainboots right outside the door.  Nope, when I get home, I take them off and put them in my CLOSET!  GASP!

9.  I have become an ENERGY SAVER!  Yep!  No more leaving every light in the house on.  I do still like to put my jeans in the dryer to "fluff" though! HA!

10.  When the laudry is done, it is folded and put away or promptly hung up to dry.  That's totally different from the way I did laundry at home!  Yep, I'd leave the clothes in the dryer for a day or two...

THERE.  I admitted it.  I'm much more like my mama than I thought and that's a-ok with me!  If you know me really well, you know that I'm not a slob.  You probably just read that top 10 list of things that I'm doing now that I wasn't used to doing and you're second guessing me though.  Believe me, I'm not!  It's not that I didn't ever do those things, they just weren't a priority to me and now they SO are!  Sandra's one proud mama for sure! 

2 comments:

Joy said...

Oh honey, you will let things change. Just give it a few months. I use to be that way and now... I still have clothes in the dryer from a week ago, when I did laundry. However, when I'm at Terry's... it is promptly done and put away after it's dry. I guess you just get lazy in your "own" place after time.

Rosalind said...

I agree with Joy... I was a neat freak after I moved out on my own. Then I got married and had 2 kids... neat freak went down the drain.

Keep it up, good habits die hard