Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sweet Brooke

There are many people in my life that I have a very close relationship with. I tend to make friends quickly and really feel like I have a genuine connection with each one of them!! Take a look at my new friend in the middle of the picture. Meet Brooke!
Kristen, Brooke & Me

Here is our story: Over the past year, Brooke has worked with the Americorp team doing projects around the country. They have participated in disaster relief working with the floods in Iowa, environmental work and for the past 8 weeks, they have been in Meridian working with Habitat for Humanity.


I was leading a Disciple Now in January, and we spent our Saturday morning painting a Habitat house. I was working with 7th & 8th graders and we had to have a project leader. You guessed it! Brooke was our leader. We were all really busy so I was able to talk to her in small amounts of time. As we were packing up to leave, I asked her how long they would be in Meridian and told them that if they were looking for a church to come to, that we would love to have her at FBC.


Fonda (the Habitat for Humanity Director) made arrangements with FBC to feed Brooke's crew every Wedensday night at family night supper. When I entered the fellowship hall the Wednesday night after I led the D-Now, I saw Brooke and her crew and was THRILLED to see them. The rest of the story is history. Kristen, Brooke and I made an instant connection and have enjoyed every moment we've spent together!!


Back at the Habitat house, I could tell that Brooke was eager to learn more about the word of God, and I knew that God had placed her in my life so that I could invest in her. That's exactly what Kristen and I did. We have had many conversations about Christ and what he does in our lives each day. We wanted to share the love of Christ with Brooke, and I really feel like we did!


Kristen and I wanted to get Brooke something to take back to Iowa with her that would be beneficial to her. Most of the things that we've done with Brooke have been centered around church. We have been able to share God's word with her in bits and pieces, so we decided that it would be wonderful for her to have a new bible of her own. Most people would call our friendship with Brooke a "God thing" and I truly believe that it is! I feel so blessed to be able to call her friend and I know that Kristen does too. We didn't meet Brooke until she had been in Meridian for almost four weeks... so we kind of feel cheated on the amount of time we've been able to hang-out with her. I am forever grateful for God placing Brooke and Kristen in my life. I am so blessed with many friendships, and am so thankful to have been able to share God's love with Brooke.

No comments: