Thursday, September 11, 2008

My Favorite Student

Davious on his 7th birthday!!

I know that when you student teach that you're certainly not supposed to have a "favorite" student. I really did try to like each one of my students and not show any special attention to just one student. But of course, there always has to be just one child that touches your heart in a special way and for me, that student was Davious. He was PRECIOUS (big diamond stud in his left ear and all). I found myself looking forward to school each day because I wanted to see him. I was looking forward to graduation in May, but I knew that my time was ending with Davious and my other "firsties" and that made me really sad. I found myself thinking about him and talking about him all summer. In fact, on the first day of school this past August, I remember saying to my mom, "I hope that Davious has his school uniforms on and that he has his school supplies. I wonder if his mom will take him to school today or if he'll ride the bus." I'm tearing up thinking about him now.

I went to Poplar Springs this past Monday and sadly enough, he was retained, but he is in another first grade room now. I got to see him though!! He was coming back from music and I stood in his room talking to his teacher, anxiously waiting on him to come into the room. I wasn't sure if he would remember me or not. One by one, the students all came in and all of the sudden I heard a voice say, "Hey Misth Ehbby" (with his little lisp and all). MY HEART MELTED!! He did remember me! I enjoyed getting to talk to him and see just how much he had grown in the short three months since I had been his student teacher.

Kids really can change our lives. I get so frustrated and impatient at times, but when I stop to think about my job and that God has chosen me to take care of the preschoolers and school aged kids at FBC, I can't help but be grateful. He has blessed me in so many ways.

Davious & Me the day before I graduated from college. This was at our class party where I was showered with tons of gifts, a "Boo Hoo Bye Miss Abby" book that the kids created and great food!!

4 comments:

KSH said...

that little story brought tears to my eyes. thanks for sharing

Jim and Cara Lea said...

he's a cutie! and even though you try not to have favorites.. we ARE HUMAN! :)

The Hill Hangout said...

Hey, Abby! I just found the Meridian maze of blogs tonight. If I can figure out how, I will add you to my blog too. I can't wait to go through yours and read it. Tell everyone in Meridian hi from the Hills.

The Hill Hangout said...

Abby, we changed the access on our blog to invite only, but I don't have your email address to invite you. Email me at ashleymhill@hotmail.com.