Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Year of Thanks

Well... it's Thanksgiving week. The one week of the year where most people pause to give thanks for everything they've been blessed with-- we should be giving thanks daily though!! Anyway, as I reflect upon the year and the many blessings that have been bestowed upon my family, I can't help but grin! It's been a big year, HUGE year and I have so much to be thankful for.
****
Blessings since last Thanksgiving:
Last December one of my cousins came to know the Lord. She called me out of the blue one day and wanted to talk about salvation. Praise the Lord that I have a new sister in Christ.
****
In January, my newest cousin arrived in the world. I was in the room with Erin when Harper Anne took her very first breath.
****
In February, I was blessed to celebrate yet another birthday. My kiddos at FBC got together on my birthday morning and surprised me with a huge birthday bash!
****
In April, the youth minister left and the responsibilities of a new position for the summer fell in my lap. I didn't know it at the time, but it was a HUGE blessing and God leading the way for future events to happen!
****
In May, I got to be a bridesmaid in two of my best friends wedding and celebrate the beginning of their lives together. I also participated in my very first mission trip to the Dominican Republic. I've never felt so blessed! Not just because I am not in need, but because I live where I don't have to worry about safety, am not persecuted for worshiping or have to worry about little things like buying gallons of water to drink instead of getting it from the faucet. I also completed my very first year of Seminary.
****
In June, I began the BUSIEST summer of my life. It was jam packed with activities for the children and youth of FBC. That same month, I learned a lot about what it meant to step out on faith. I gained a passion for youth ministry and really felt a higher calling in my life.
****
July was one of the scariest months of my year. I totaled my car on the way to Jackson. I literally saw my life flash before my eyes and realized that I was left on Earth for a reason.
****
August was an exciting month because I officially became Minister of Students and Children at FBC. I can't tell you how excited I was then (and even more so, now) that I was going to embark on a new journey. August was also exciting because I began my second year in Seminary.
****
September was a bummer. I was faced with a microdiscectomy beacuse I had a herniated disk. That month flew by because I couldn't do too much. I was supposed to start my official duties on September 1, but had to wait a few more weeks to get in full swing. Even though the month wasn't so good, and the fact that I slept a whole week of my month away from being in so much main, I am thankful that I haven't had any complications and had total relief from the procedure. It could have been a lot worse!
****
October and November both held the blessings of new friendships!
****
As you can see, my year has been full of blessings. Some of the events were great and some weren't so great, but I'm grateful. It's so hard to understand some of the events that happen in life-- but it's so important to find hope in the fact that God has the big plan and has our lives planned out.
I recently heard a song by Jason Diaz and it says this:
"You have a much better purpose,
You have a far greater plan.
You have a bigger perspective,
'cause You hold the world in your hands."
How true is this?! We should all find comfort!
"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:18

1 comment:

KSH said...

Happy Thanksgiving...thanks for sharing...love you